It’s almost time for the 121st Civil War football game between the University of Oregon Ducks and Oregon State University Beavers! To mark the occasion, we bring you 5 fun facts about this long-rivaled match-up. Be sure to check out last year’s blog for 5 more facts about one of the most exciting games of the season. Go Ducks!
1. The first Civil War game was played in 1894, when touchdowns were worth only four points, a season was only two or three games, and deaths due to injuries sustained on the field were almost an annual occurrence (these dapper gentlemen pictured are OSU’s team from 1894!).
2. At that initial meeting, Oregon State University was known as Oregon Agricultural College (OAC), and they were not the Beavers, but were instead known as the Hay Miners. Oregon’s mascot at that time were the Webfoots.
3. The longest win streak for both teams is eight games (Oregon: 1975 – 1982 and 2008 – 2015, Oregon State: 1964 – 1971). Oregon leads the series with a record of 63 – 47 – 10.
4. The last scoreless tie in NCAA football history was sadly the 1983 Civil War game, known to many as the “Toilet Bowl” (pictured). This sloppy game (for both sides) racked up a combined eleven fumbles, five interceptions, and four missed field goals.
5. University of Oregon’s Autzen Stadium is named after Thomas J. Autzen, who is actually an alum of Oregon State University!
- Reflection of Fall at Autzen Stadium by Don Hankins is licensed under CC BY 2.0.
- Duck Football Season Opener by David Geitgey Sierralupe is licensed under CC BY 2.0 (photo included in e-newsletter).
- 1894 Football Team by OSU Special Collections & Archives Research Center is licensed under Public Domain Mark 1.0 (photo included in e-newsletter).
- 1906 Webfoot Mascot sourced from UO Archives Digital Photo Collection (photo included in e-newsletter).
- Eugene Oregon Ducks by Don Hankins is licensed under CC BY 2.0 (photo included in e-newsletter).
- Reggie Bynum making a catch in the “Toilet Bowl” by Mike Shields is licensed under Rights Reserved – Free Access (photo included in e-newsletter).
- Autzen Stadium – Civil War by Travis Johnson is licensed under CC BY 2.0 (photo included in e-newsletter).